Queens Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyer
Workers’ Compensation for Rideshare Drivers in New York
Free Consultation Call Us Reviews
On December 20, 2019, New York State mandated that all Uber and Lyft drivers, as well as drivers for other rideshare companies, be covered by workers’ compensation insurance. This means that a rideshare driver who is injured in the course of their employment is eligible for workers’ compensation benefits in New York City. However, actually recovering those benefits can be difficult without the help of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney.
At the Harris Firm, LLC, our Queens Uber, and Lyft workers’ compensation attorneys have extensive experience representing injured rideshare drivers throughout NYC. We understand the complex nature of these claims, and we know how to help you navigate the system to recover the benefits you are owed. Our attorneys offer personalized and aggressive legal representation backed by nearly 30 years of legal experience. If you were injured in an accident while driving for Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare company, our firm is here to help.
Remember, you will need more than a Queens accident attorney. You will need a law firm that understands New York's workers' compensation laws. Otherwise, injured Lyft and Uber drivers in Queens may miss our on compensation all together.
Contact us online or call us at (718) 487-8669 for a free, no-obligation consultation. We can travel to you if you are unable to visit our office in Queens or the Bronx.
When Are Uber/Lyft Drivers Covered by Workers’ Compensation?
Like other workers, Uber and Lyft drivers are covered by workers’ compensation when they are injured or suffer a work-related medical condition during the course or in the scope of their employment. For rideshare drivers, this means when they are actively operating their vehicles for the benefit of their respective rideshare companies.
In New York, Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare drivers are covered by workers’ compensation insurance when they are injured in the following situations:
- When logged into the app and waiting for a ride request
- After accepting a ride request before the passenger is in the vehicle
- During an active ride, meaning the passenger is in the vehicle
While most rideshare-related workers’ compensation claims arise from collisions and other types of accidents, drivers could be entitled to benefits for any work-related injury, illness, or medical condition.
Does Fault Affect Your Eligibility for Workers’ Compensation?
Because workers’ compensation is a no-fault system, it does not matter if you were at fault for the accident or incident that caused your injury; you can still recover workers’ compensation benefits if you caused the accident. However, you should be aware that you could become the subject of personal injury litigation if you caused an accident that resulted in injury, death, and/or property damage.
If you believe you are entitled to workers’ compensation after an Uber or Lyft accident, but you are experiencing issues with your claim, do not hesitate to reach out to the Harris Firm, LLC. With decades of experience and a proven record of success, our Queens rideshare workers’ compensation lawyers can help you understand your legal rights and options. Our multilingual staff serves clients in English, Spanish, French, Russian, Bangali/Vangia, and several other languages, and we have an open-door policy at both of our offices, located in Queens and the Bronx.
What Does Workers’ Compensation For Rideshare Accidents In Queens Cover?
A serious accident can result in catastrophic injuries, extensive medical care, and weeks or even months of recuperation. The purpose of workers’ compensation is to reimburse you for specific costs related to your injuries.
As part of an Uber or Lyft accident claim you can demand these types of compensation:
- All medical expenses resulting from your work-related injury
- Wage replacement while you are unable to return to work (temporary disability)
- Permanent partial and/or total disability wage replacement
- Vocational rehabilitation, such as job retraining expenses and related costs
- Death benefits for surviving dependents, including funeral expenses
For more information on workers’ compensation benefits, including what you may be entitled to receive as an injured Uber or Lyft driver, contact the Harris Firm, LLC today.
What Is the Time Limit for Filing an Uber or Lyft Lawsuit In Queens?
In New York, you usually have 3 years from the date of the accident to file a rideshare accident lawsuit. However, if a loved one passes away from an Uber or Lyft accident you have two years from the date of the death to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
How Can A Rideshare Accident Attorney In Queens Help You?
A car accident is a traumatic experience, no matter the severity of it. If you were in a Uber or Lyft accident, having an experienced rideshare accident attorney by your side is critical for ensuring that you have all of the support and legal guidance that you need during this time.
A rideshare accident attorney can help you in the following ways:
- Provide You With Important Legal Counsel: Your attorney will have answers to every question that you have regarding your accident case. He or she will also be able to provide you with important legal counsel and will be on your side to guide you through each step of the way.
- Serve as a Support System: Not only will your lawyer be there to answer all of your questions, but your attorney can serve as a great support system for you during this difficult time.
- Take Care of Paperwork: Your lawyer will be responsible for handling all of the paperwork involved with your case and making sure that everything gets to the appropriate parties at the right time.
- Save You Time and Money: Your rideshare attorney will help prevent you from making costly mistakes that may prolong the process, and you receive your compensation amount.
- Collect Evidence: Your attorney will gather important evidence to support your case and help you receive the maximum compensation that you deserve.
- Negotiate With Insurance Companies: Negotiating with insurance companies may be especially tricky and difficult. Your rideshare lawyer will have the skills and experience necessary to effectively negotiate on your behalf.
- Maximize Compensation: Having an experienced lawyer fight for a favorable settlement is critical for helping you receive the full compensation amount that you rightfully deserve.
- Represent You In Court: Your lawyers will advise you as to whether you should take your case to court or not. In the case that it does get taken to court, your lawyer will be there to represent you and fight for a favorable settlement.
Don't go through the repercussions of a Uber or Lyft accident without a reputable attorney to represent and fight for you. Our rideshare attorneys in Queens will go above and beyond to help ensure that your receive the full compensation amount that you are eligible for. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and to learn more about how our Uber and Lyft accident lawyers can help you.
We Are Ready to Make the Insurance Company Pay
Workers’ compensation for Uber and Lyft drivers is a relatively new area of law. It is important that you work with a legal team that understands the processes involved, one that has the experience and proven successes in representing injured rideshare drivers.
At the Harris Firm, LLC, we are known for our aggressive and relentless approach to workers’ compensation cases. Insurance companies know that we will not back down when it comes to representing our clients’ rights. We fight to recover every last cent you deserve, all while providing you with personalized, compassionate, and attentive legal service you can count on. Our rideshare accident attorney has the skills you need to make a successful rideshare workers' compensation claim.
We are conveniently located in the city but are also able to travel to your home or the hospital if you are unable to make it into one of our offices due to your injuries. Unlike many other law firms in the area, we never refer out workers’ compensation case. Instead, we handle these claims in-house, and we have the resources and experience to effectively navigate the system on your behalf.
Get started with a complimentary case evaluation today; call (718) 487-8669 or contact us online using our free and secure submission form.
The Opinions That Matter MostOur Clients Share Their Experiences With Us
Mr.Harris handled my case perfectly- Saidou K.
I changed my attorney to Mr.Harris and it was the best decision I've made- Genesis A.
Mr. Harris was very professional, and I’m very grateful what he has done for my case.- Lola L.
Very grateful! Definitely will recommend Mr. Harris to anyone who needs.- Sharanjeet S.
Mr. Harris is the very best in the business has been doing this for over 25 years- Israel Y.